Friday, 22 June 2007

Bunnies

Went to see Miss Potter last night. I adored it. I like bunnies you see, as well as cats, and I have a habit of calling anyone I like "bunny". It was lovely to see all her pictures and it reminded me so much of childhood, all Mrs Tiggywinkle and Jemima Puddleduck. Cute!
It was also nice to see where it was set, I did my Gap Year in the Lakes District in 1997 and haven't been back since, I found it pretty boring as an 18 year old, but am sure I would appreciate it a bit more now.
Windermere was a funny place to spend a year on my own, working at a school there, first time away from home. Mum cried for 2 days before I left. I was a bit bewildered and hadn't really thought what it would be like.
11 months later I had battled bulimia, over-eating, depression and anxiety issues. I really don't think I was prepared to have all of that responsibility. I had no motivation to get out and do things, and tended to just stay at the school in the weekends, whereas all my other Gap friends were taking every opportunity to see everything they could.
Don't get me wrong, I went all over Scotland and England, and did a 6 week trip around Europe, but mostly I felt the whole time that I just wanted to get HOME. I comforted myself with tasteless UK junk food (Walkers Salt and Vinegar crisps, oh yeah) and put on 10 kilos. I have had issues with food ever since.
So while I don't really regret having gone, I do wish I could do it all over again. I often have dreams that I am back there, that I have chosen to go back there, and I'm all, what the....no way!
Anyway I would like to go back eventually, but am sure it will be a surreal experience.

1 comment:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Wow, what a tough year you had back then. I do hope you can get back at some point and appreciate it from a different perspective.

I must say that I do love the idea of a Gap Year, which we don't traditionally have in the U.S. How cool it would be to take a year off from learning in school and instead learn from living elsewhere.