Wednesday, 5 August 2009

More Cooking with Moi

Tonight Richard and I are both super excited as it’s that time again. No, not business time...although it is Wednesday....it’s home made hamburgers and wedges night!
I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like these, in all their juicy, drippy, crunchy goodness. Ahhhhh.
Here’s how I do it.
Chop up an onion really finely. Or, grate it. Mix with about 500 g mince (we have lots leftover after!). Stir an egg through, and if the mixture is quite dry, bind with some breadcrumbs. Season with salt and peps.
Have some fun with flavourings – Wattie’s Tomato Sauce is my favourite because I am a Kiwi Kid; mixed herbs, BBQ sauce, tobasco, gherkin pieces...the list goes on – experiment!
Shape the patties into fairly large rounds about 3 cm thick. Refrigerate if needed.
Fry on medium heat until juices run clear. Don’t have the pan too hot as they’ll be black on the outside and raw in the middle. Not cool. No matter what I do, my patties always fall apart. I have tried everything. It’s my Waterloo. They look fine once squished into the bun, but I wish you better luck than me.
While they’re cooking, assemble your extras. I like cheese, cheese, and more cheese, along with tinned beetroot. But I bow to nutrition guidelines, and have lettuce, sliced tomatoes, gherkins, and avocado if it’s around.
Lightly grill both ends of the bun, and layer with a sauce of your choice. We like Smoked Hickory, or good old Watties, and a good tangy mustard. Mmmmmmm. Slap it all together, roll your sleeves up, and get stuck in.
Oh yeah – wedges. Slice some nice Agria spuds (or Kumara) into thin wedges. Spray with olive oil and dust some garlic salt or whatever over the top. Bake until nice and golden at about 230 Celsius.
My mouth is watering.

2 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

Sounds SO good!

Elizabeth Bayliss said...

Meghann adds a bit of Tomato sauce to her patties - maybe that could help with the binding.....